Visit my Cottage~

Stay a While :)

Stay a While :)

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Happy Mother's Day~


I am very fortunate to have my sweet mother. She is 87. I can't even bare the thought of the day she will not longer be here with me.
Holidays can bring out the best and the worst in us. They can be joyful, full of laughter and love. Or they can leave us emotionally drained, trapped in our own memories and regrets.
For most, Mother’s Day is an occasion to celebrate. Children will surprise their parents with homemade cards, boxes of chocolates and dozens of red roses. They will be treated to dinner or a day at the spa.
If nothing else, moms of all ages are guaranteed a phone call from family and friends thanking them for years of hard work and affection.
Many often feel left out of this holiday. Instead of celebrating, they grieve and remember the people that passed away.
But perhaps there is a way to honor your mom on Mother’s Day. “Mothers who have  passed on deserve as much recognition. Display a photo of your mother and surround it with candles and flowers for the day. Wear a special piece of her jewelry. Or make a donation in her memory to a charity she supported. Do activities you once shared. For example, if you gardened together, consider planting a rose bush in her honor.”
Communicate your feelings to her. “Writing is therapeutic because it helps bring out thoughts and emotions that might otherwise churn around inside. Let your mother know what’s happened to you in the past year. Tell her that you miss her. I know a motherless daughter who keeps a special journal and writes letters to her mother twice a year—on her mother’s birthday, and on Mother’s Day.”

Here is a beautiful and touching letter from a mom to a daughter. It's perfect for daughters like myself who have a mom that is in her senior years. I thought I would share it on Mother's Day. Hope you enjoy it.

My dear girl, the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through. If when we talk, I repeat the same thing a thousand times, don’t interrupt to say: “You said the same thing a minute ago.” Just listen, please. Try to remember the times when you were little and I would read the same story night after night until you would fall asleep. When I don’t want to take a bath, don’t be mad and don’t embarrass me. Remember when I had to run after you making excuses and trying to get you to take a shower when you were just a girl? When you see how ignorant I am when it comes to new technology, give me the time to learn and don’t look at me that way. Remember, honey, I patiently taught you how to do many things like eating appropriately, getting dressed, combing your hair, and dealing with life’s issues every day. The day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through. If I occasionally lose track of what we’re talking about, give me the time to remember, and if I can’t, don’t be nervous, impatient, or arrogant. Just know in your heart that the most important thing for me is to be with you. And when my old, tired legs don’t let me move as quickly as before, give me your hand the same way that I offered mine to you when you first walked. When those days come, don’t feel sad—just be with me, and understand me while I get to the end of my life with love. I’ll cherish and thank you for the gift of time and joy we shared. With a big smile and the huge love I’ve always had for you, I just want to say, I love you, my darling daughter."

If you are a mom or not doesn't matter because I believe that Mother's Day is a day for all women to celebrate. Just enjoy it because you are special. Enjoy it because you deserve it. Enjoy it because God loves you no matter what.


Wishing all Mothers out there a beautiful day. May your day be filled with sunshine, roses and joy.

I love you Mom,
xxoo
Janet


No comments:

.