Visit my Cottage~

Stay a While :)

Stay a While :)

Saturday, July 03, 2010

Wishing Everyone a Very Happy 4th of July!














Happy 4th of July!

Tomorrow many of us will be going to barbecues, watching the fireworks and eating yummy food. But let us not forget that there is more to this holiday. Here is a bit of info on the meaning of the 4th of July:

Who: the Second Continental Congress


What: the Declaration of Independence


Where: PhiladelphiaWhen: July 4, 1776Why: to declare the Thirteen colonies “Free and Independent States… Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown” of King George III


Thomas Jefferson, at the age of 33, laid the cornerstone of the United States of America. Though the Declaration of Independence, or, as it was known at the time, “The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,” holds no legal standing, it stands at the head of the US Code. The signed copy resides in the National Archives in Washington, DC.


God bless the U.S.A.














And I also thought that I would share some yummy recipes that I found online for those of you who will be hosting or attending some type of patriotic-themed get together. Have fun!

Blueberry Pie


Fourth of July Buttermilk Pie


Fourth of July Cake


Fourth of July Cupcakes


Giant S’mores Cookies


Lemon-Limoncello Cupcakes


Lemon Raspberry Bars


Mixed Berry Parfaits


Red White & Blueberry Cheesecake Bars


Red White & Blue Stained Glass Jello Stars


Strawberry Pretzel Squares


And one more thing. I want to share that my sweet husband asked me to marry him on the 4th of July. We were on the rooftop of a residential building where I used to live in New York City. We were watching the Macy's Fireworks when he shocked me when he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I am proud to say that we have been happily married for 20 yrs. :-)








Have a wonderful 4th of July holiday weekend everyone! Be safe!

xo

Janet~




4 comments:

Honey Lamb and I said...

I love your engagement story so sweet!! What a sweet guy!!! The food looks great and I hope everyone remembers all that makes the US great! ~Shelley O.

Kim Di Maggio said...

What a wonderful memory! Sounds like the best way to get a proposal...with fireworks!

Happy 4th of July to you and yours!

Kim
www.roseblossomcottage.com
www.roseblossomcottage.blogspot.com

Diane said...

Hi Janet...you should come visit =) *wink*
And, congratulations on being married 20 years! My husband and I will celebrate our anniversary on the 7th. We will be married 24!
diane
xoxox

down pillows said...

Thanks for sharing the links, I will save them for next year!

.