Visit my Cottage~

Stay a While :)

Stay a While :)

Monday, December 30, 2013

Wishing Everyone a very Happy New Year!


It's hard to believe that another year is gone. Yet, here we are once again preparing for a New Year. Every year I pray and hope that the New Year will be better. And even though we have heard many bad things in the news over this past year I refuse to give up hope that the 2014 will bring us health, peace, love and happiness. Many of us have resolutions. How about resolutions to pray more often, promise to be kind to one another, promise to help those who need it? Or how about promising to smile at someone each day? It's those little things that make the world a better place. I truly hope that 2014 is a spectacular year for all. And speaking of the New Year, I have a question for all of you.

Do you know what Auld Lang Syne means?

I have a feeling many people out there don't know what it means. So, here is the meaning, written by Andrea Honaker.

New Year’s Eve is a song that's known worldwide and has become a Jan. 1 tradition, as has the debate about what it means.

Scotsman Robert Burns wrote the poem “Auld Lang Syne” in 1788, and the words were paired with the melody of a traditional folk song. It’s interesting to note that the song is not just for New Year’s; it’s also sung at funerals and graduations and for the closing of other events.

“Auld Lang Syne can be translated to mean something like “old long since,” “long long ago,” “days gone by,” “old times” or “the good old times.” An examination of the words reveals a sort of toast to old friends and good times of the past and hopes for the future.'

According to Scotland.org, “Auld Lang Syne is one of Scotland’s gifts to the world, recalling the love and kindness of days gone by, but in the communion of taking our neighbors’ hands, it also gives us a sense of belonging and fellowship to take into the future.” Here is an English translation of the famous holiday song. Brush up on the lyrics so you can join in the group singing at midnight.

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne?

CHORUS: For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

And surely you’ll buy your pint cup!
and surely I’ll buy mine !
And we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.



This tradition is mostly thanks to Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadian Band. While their work is largely unknown to those born in the last few decades, the band has sold over 300 million records to date. Guy Lombardo himself has three stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and he was once the “Dick Clark” of New Years before Clark and his “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve,” attempting to appeal to younger audiences, started supplanting “Mr. New Year’s Eve,” Guy Lombardo. I grew up watching Guy Lombardo when I was a kid. How I miss those New Year's Eve's. Not that I don't enjoy the New Year's today, but it's not the same.

And I don't know about you, but I miss Dick Clark. May he rest in peace.
 And what would the New Year be without watching the ball drop?



In 1907, the New Year’s Eve Ball made its maiden descent from the flagpole atop One Times Square. Seven versions of the Ball have been designed to signal the New Year.

The first New Year’s Eve Ball, made of iron and wood and adorned with one hundred 25-watt light bulbs, was 5 feet in diameter and weighed 700 pounds. It was built by a young immigrant metalworker named Jacob Starr, and for most of the twentieth century the company he founded, sign maker Artkraft Strauss, was responsible for lowering the Ball.

As for me I look forward to giving my parents, my kids, and of course my wonderful husband squishy hugs and kisses at midnight.  What more can I ask for?

Wishing each and everyone of you a very Happy New Year!

See you next year!
xo
Janet~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Janet. It's good to see that you are still posting, my friend. I've been all over the place this past year and wrote about it on my page, but I'm hoping for steady waters in 2014. :)
Love how you shared the meaning of Auld Lang Syne. It's so special, isn't it. My husband and I were talking of how much we miss Dick Clark too. We still catch the Times Square ball drop, but no host compares. I think Dick Clark brought a lot of warmth and family to it.
Great resolutions, by the way. Kindness and peace is at the top of my list.
Many blessings to you and yours and I hope you stay in touch.
xoxo's

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Janet, How wonderful to see you and thank you for your visit and kind comment. I loved your post for the new year, the info about the traditional song that I love and the nostalgia of new years of the past. I too grew up to watching Guy Lombardo and Dick Clark. Both are so missed and like you said, NY's eve is still a wonderful time today, it will never be the same without those greats from the past.

Love the look of your blog and I wish for you a wonderful new year filled with many blessings and much success in your business.
Wonderful resolutions to mark the new year and good for us all to be mindful of each day.

Thank you again for such a sweet visit. I have missed you and look forward to visiting you more often. Yes, let's keep in touch!
Happy New Year my friend.
Blessings always.
Hugs

.